Attack on the US Embassy convoy in Haiti



CNN

A US embassy convoy was attacked in Haiti on Monday, according to a senior US official and a State Department spokesperson.

The official said the Haitian driver was slightly injured, but no embassy staff were hurt.

“Armed personnel fired at Haitian National Police vehicles, US Embassy vehicles, and Haitian commercial vehicles this morning,” a State Department spokesperson said.

They said, “No embassy personnel were injured.” “A Haitian commercial driver who was escorting the convoy sustained non-life-threatening injuries.”

“We don’t have any additional information at this time,” the spokesperson said.

A Haitian security source, who asked not to be named because they are not authorized to speak, confirmed that a US embassy convoy was attacked by the Maozo 400 gang on Monday.

The attack is the latest incident in a country overtaken by violent gangs and comes a year after the killing of current President Jovenel Moise. Port-au-Prince was the site of brutal gang battles this summer, which saw entire neighborhoods go up in flames, displacing thousands of families and trapping others in their homes, afraid to even leave in search of food and water.

The United Nations International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Haitian politician Eric Jean-Baptiste was killed late last month outside his home and the number of Haitians displaced by recent gang-related violence in the capital has tripled in the past five months. Last month.

The IOM report stated that more than 113,000 people were internally displaced from Port-au-Prince between June and August this year, nearly 90,000 of them due to “urban violence linked to gangs, police and social conflicts”.

Criminals still control or influence the most populous parts of the city, and kidnappings for ransom threaten residents’ daily movements. In recent weeks, protesters in several cities have called for the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry in the face of soaring fuel prices, soaring inflation and unchecked crime.

Last month, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned what he called an “absolute nightmare situation” in Haiti with gangs blocking the movement of fuel and other materials at the port of Port-au-Prince. The country is facing a humanitarian crisis, and an outbreak of cholera has killed dozens.

Guterres urged the international community to consider deploying forces in the country to counter the growing humanitarian and security crises in the country.

US State Department spokesman Ned Price said last week that the Biden administration official is working with “capitals around the world to discuss the possibility of a Chapter 7 UN Security Council-approved mission,” but the formation of any such mission remains unclear.

The status quo is still not acceptable. This is still not acceptable to the Haitian people. We hope to see continued improvement in the humanitarian situation. The work of the Haitian National Police may lead to further improvements. But there remain long-term challenges that an enabling force authorized by the UN Security Council can help address.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *