Hervey Bay, Queensland: A snake catcher has been called to hospital after bringing in a small venomous eyed snake

A Queensland hospital has had to call a snake catcher after a patient brought in a venomous snake after being bitten.

Hervey Bay Snake Catchers were called to Hervey Bay Hospital on January 20 after a man brought the reptile in a jar after stepping on it.

Snake catcher Drew Godfrey is told it is a red-bellied black snake, however, upon arrival he finds it to be an eastern small-eyed rattlesnake – a more venomous species.

“Both are in the same family of snakes, but the small-eyed rattlesnake never gets so big and it’s significantly more venomous,” said Mr Godfrey.

Mr. Godfrey quickly removed the snake after showing it to the nurses and released it in a natural habitat.

Godfrey stressed that although it is highly toxic, the small-eyed rattlesnake poses a low threat to humans.

“This is really uncommon,” he said, “and the snake only bit him because he would have been terrified and hurt.”

“They are not known to bite people, they are very secretive and shy and are more likely to get hit in the head or stand up than get bitten.”

The victim is expected to be well, according to Mr Godfrey.

“Fortunately, he did the right thing and went to the hospital,” he said.

“With the right first aid and medical treatment, it’s actually quite difficult to die from a snakebite these days, so hopefully your life companion will be OK.”

Originally published as Snake catcher Named after a venomous reptile that was hospitalized after a bite

Related Posts