the newYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Hong Kong officials said Friday they would launch an investigation into a concert incident in which a giant LED video screen fell on a stage and injured two dancers.
Videos from Thursday night’s Cantopop group’s Mirror concert show a huge LED screen hanging above the stage crashing down, landing straight on one dancer before flipping over another while members of the audience scream in horror.
The injured were immediately taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
He added, “One of the injured is staying in the intensive care unit in a serious condition and has undergone surgery [Friday]. The Hospital Authority said in a statement, “The other patient is in a stable condition, and he was discharged with his family this afternoon.”
Local media reported that Zhang Tsezfong, 29, had been discharged from hospital, while Mo Li Kai-yin, 27, remained in hospital in serious condition.
Kai Yin dislocated the third and fourth sections of his cervical vertebrae, leaving him unable to move. Doctors were able to stabilize him after an overnight operation.
Taylor Swift responds to criticism after lists private jet CO2 emissions of worst: ‘loaned’ to others
Authorities found that one of the two metal cords holding the screen broke during the concert. An investigation is underway as experts try to find out exactly why the suspension wires failed.
Various concert contractors, including Engineering Impact and Hip Hing Loong, will be involved in the investigation with authorities.
Culture, Sports and Tourism Minister Kevin Young told reporters on Friday that the government was “extremely concerned” about the incident and that an investigation would likely take place over several weeks.
“We will conduct research to see if (the steel cable broke) due to an operational or physical issue. It cannot currently be completed at this point,” Young said, adding that the accident would affect “all future performances.”
Young said authorities will also try to determine if any safety improvements are needed elsewhere for upcoming shows to reduce the chances of such an incident happening again.
Labor and Welfare Secretary Chris Sun said Labor Department officers had collected evidence from the scene and would work to determine who was responsible.
He said that all activities under the hanging screens remaining in place will be halted, and regulators will work with government officials to determine how best to safely remove the hanging screens.
Hong Kong leader John Lee said Friday that authorities will “comprehensively investigate the incident” and review safety requirements for future performance, according to a government statement.
He also said the government would help family members of one of the injured dancers to be able to travel from Canada to Hong Kong to see him.
Concert organizer Mackerville said in a statement that it was “deeply saddened” by the injury of two performers and that it would work with authorities in the investigation.
“If we find anything suspicious, or if any person or unit has been involved in misconduct, we will report it to the police immediately,” the statement read.
Thursday’s concert was the fourth of 12 scheduled concerts for the Mirror, with tens of thousands of fans buying tickets.
CLICK HERE FOR FOX NEWS APP
The remaining eight shows were canceled, but the concert organizers announced that they would issue refunds to fans.
The 12-member group “Mirror” has skyrocketed in popularity in Hong Kong, and they are credited with reviving Cantopop.