NSW Chancellor of the Exchequer Matt Kean has ruled out a leadership leak following the scandal of Dominic Perot’s Nazi costume

the main points
  • Chancellor of the Exchequer Matt Kean said he would not challenge the prime minister and that the government was ready to move on from the scandal.
  • Mr Perot’s colleagues rallied around him, with Roads Minister Natalie Ward saying the accident did not represent the man she knew.
  • Labor leader Chris Minns has not called on his rival to resign.
NSW Premier Dominic Perot will not be ousted by his main rival in the leadership after it was revealed that he wore a Nazi costume to his 21st birthday party.
Treasurer and deputy Liberal leader Matt Kean said on Monday he would not challenge the prime minister and that the government was ready to move on from the scandal.
“You have been one of (the prime minister’s) most loyal and fierce supporters,” Kane told Nine Show.
“What we want to see is for Dom Beirut to lead the Liberal Party into the elections and beyond.

“This is exactly what will happen.”

This comes after Mr. Beirut admitted last week to wearing a Nazi uniform at the age of twenty-one, for which he repeatedly apologized.
He will face off against his cabinet colleagues on Monday in the party’s first chamber meeting since the fashion scandal came to light.
Kane also criticized anonymous sources in the Liberal Party who claimed there was a photo circulating of Mr. Perrotet in Nazi garb, telling 2GB he did not believe the photo existed.

“Whoever did this is a terrible coward, and they have to get out of the quagmire in which they live,” he said.

Meanwhile, the leader of a small New South Wales party has seized on the controversy, and has referred Mr Perrotet to the police to find out if his 2010 primary election advert was against the law.
Robert Borsack, leader of the shooters party, Fisher & Farmers, said Sunday that he believes Perot may have broken the oath law by failing to disclose the disguise incident in his legal declaration to the Liberal Party 13 years ago.
It is not known to the public whether Mr. Perrotet failed to make the controversial incident public now that the relevant document remains classified.
“The prime minister has apologized for making a huge mistake on his 21st birthday and this is nothing more than a ruse,” a spokesperson for the prime minister said.
Bursak also hopes to use his position on Parliament’s Public Accountability Committee to push for an investigation into Perrotite’s fitness to be prime minister.

But this appears doomed, as Bursack outnumbers key party MPs, including Labor, who are unlikely to support the push.

Mr Perrottet on Sunday tried to put the incident behind him, saying it did not reflect the person he was today.
His colleagues rallied around him, with Roads Minister Natalie Ward saying the accident did not represent the man she knew.
Mr. Bursak is a controversial figure in parliament.
In September, it was suggested that Independent MP and former party member Helen Dalton be “registered”.

This prompted two of his deputies to resign after Mr. Bursak refused to apologize or resign over the comments.

Labor leader Chris Minns, who faces the prime minister in a state election in March, has not called on his rival to resign.

On Tuesday he told 2GB Mr Perrottet had made a mistake and that his apology seemed genuine.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *