Optus hack: Claire O’Neill says 7.30 attack wasn’t ‘complicated’

Cybersecurity Secretary Claire O’Neill made it clear that she does not believe Optus’ claim that the company experienced a “complex breach”.

In an interview with ABC’s 7:30 On Monday evening, Ms. O’Neill spoke about the telecommunications company’s cybersecurity breach.

“What we are concerned about is how what is considered a fundamental hack was implemented on Optus,” the minister said.

“We shouldn’t have a telecoms provider in this country actually leave the window open for data theft of this kind.

“And the thing that does me a lot as a cybersecurity minister is why did this happen and how do we make sure it never happens again?”

“You definitely don’t buy a line from Optus stating that this was a sophisticated attack,” host Laura Tingle said.

“Well, it wasn’t. So no,” Mrs. O’Neill’s candid reply was.

Stream more tech news live and on-demand with Flash. More than 25 news channels in one place. New to Flash? Try 1 month for free. Offer ends on October 31, 2022

Ms. O’Neill has continued to reiterate her call for Optus to provide credit monitoring to its affected customers. Credit monitoring is keeping track of an individual’s credit history for any changes or suspicious activities.

On Monday, Optus announced that it will already offer some customers a 12-month subscription to its Equifax Protect monitoring service.

“Customers most affected will receive direct communications from Optus over the coming days about how to start their subscription at no cost,” the company said in a statement.

“Please note that no communications from Optus regarding this incident will include any links as we understand that there are criminals who will use this incident to conduct phishing scams.”

While she thanked the company for agreeing to provide support, Ms O’Neill said “that’s not the end of the story.”

“We’re still talking about the Optus hack in the coming weeks,” she said.

“Optus needs to communicate clearly with its customers about exactly what information has been obtained from specific individuals, and then needs to help and support customers to manage the effects of what is unprecedented theft of consumer information in Australian history.”

On Thursday, Optus revealed that about 9.8 million Australians have been affected by the security breach, which has resulted in former and current customers having their names, emails, phone numbers, dates of birth, addresses and in some cases even driver’s license and passport numbers stolen.

Optus received a major backlash in the aftermath of the cyber attack, with customers blowing up the carrier for its response to the situation.

On Friday, it was revealed that Optus was aware of the breach on Wednesday, although it did not release an official statement until Thursday afternoon, after Australian An article on the attack was previously published.

Optus CEO Kelly Beyer-Rosmarin said reports that 9.8 million people had been hacked were an “absolute worst case scenario”.

She described the situation as a “complex attack,” saying she learned of the breach less than a day before the situation was announced.

“I learned about it less than 24 hours before we went live to the press,” Bayer-Rosmarin said.

“Only late that night were we able to determine that it was of a large scale. I think this was some kind of late-night call. By 2pm the next day we informed everyone and tried to collect all of our stomachs in a row.”

Meanwhile, law firm Slater & Gordon revealed it was considering a class action against Optus over what was “the most serious breach of privacy in Australia’s history”.

Ben Zuko, a top aide to Slater and Gordon, said all legal options are being considered.

“This is potentially the most serious breach of privacy in Australian history, both in terms of the number of people affected and the nature of the information disclosed,” Zuko said.

“We consider that the consequences can be particularly serious for vulnerable members of the community, such as survivors of domestic violence, victims of stalking and other threatening behaviour, and people who are seeking or have previously sought asylum in Australia.”

“Due to the type of information that was exposed, these people simply cannot heed Optus’ advice to look for fraudulent emails and text messages.”

Originally Posted as ‘Wasn’t’: Cyber ​​Security Secretary Claire O’Neill Rebuts Optus’ Claim That It Had a ‘Complex’ Attack

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *