The Ugandan Ministry of Health has reported 11 more suspected Ebola cases identified in the country’s Mubindi district as of Tuesday. In a statement issued on Tuesday evening, the ministry said that among those, the ministry recorded one possible death related to the Ebola virus, of a one-year-old child.
The ministry said the samples of the one-year-old and the ten suspected cases who are undergoing isolation are being tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute.
So far, 11 suspected cases have been identified, one confirmed case, and six cases considered probable as of Tuesday night.
Uganda has declared an outbreak of the Ebola virus, the World Health Organization said on Tuesday, after a case of the relatively rare Sudanese strain was discovered in the country. This case was confirmed after a sample was tested from a 24-year-old man in Mubindi district, who the ministry said died after showing symptoms.
Ugandan health authorities have investigated six suspicious deaths in the region this month.
According to the World Health Organization, the country has seen four Ebola outbreaks that have left more than 200 people dead. It was the deadliest in 2000.
Uganda borders the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which is experiencing a resurgence of the Ebola virus following this year’s outbreak.