New video from the Nest Camera captured the moment an iPhone 4 charging on an Ohio family’s kitchen counter caught fire overnight.
At first, all was quiet in the Cincinnati home. Then suddenly, there is a rumble.
While the phone is initially invisible in the dark from across the room, bright orange and pink flames shoot upward. It burns bright for a moment before the fire goes out, though it won’t be out by the end of the video.
Apple introduces the most powerful MacBook Pro model ever
Brian Lesgang shared the video to Facebook on January 9th. He said they were “very lucky to avoid a house fire.”
Lesgang explained, “Our kids were charging their old iPhone 4 with an Apple charger last night and it exploded and caught fire in our kitchen while we were sleeping.”
Urge iPhone owners to check settings to prevent thieves from making changes
“Fortunately, we just cleaned the counter yesterday, as it usually has a lot of books and school papers in that area,” he noted. “There were little pieces of the phone and black grime on the table this morning.”
Brian’s wife, Jennifer Lesgang, told FOX TV stations that the silicone cover on the phone was cracked and the device was open.
Click here for the FOX NEWS app
“I realized how lucky we were that we didn’t have anything on the counter and it just came out on its own,” she said.
Lesgang said the video was shared in hopes of preventing a future fire in someone else’s home.